Monday, May 08, 2006

Happy Birthday to DD#1

Ok, so I this is a little late. I actually started this on Friday.

A letter to my oldest daughter:

Wow, I can't believe it's been 13 years since I began my life as a mother. It's been an amazing 13 years and I have cherished every moment of it. I remember when my mom used to tell me she loved me and I would say it back to her. Every once in awhile she would look at me as though she could see to the depths of my soul and she would tell me "You'll never know how much I love you." Ok, so I thought she was weird, I was like "yeah, ok mom". But 13 years ago today, I realized what she meant. You will never understand how much I love you until you have children of your own. You will love many people, in different ways, and some even very deeply, but the love you have for your children is like no other love you will ever experience. It was comforting to think back to when my mom would say those that to me and realize just what she meant by it, to know that I was loved as much as I now love you. I never thought about the love I have for you before I had children. It wasn't something I could ever have possible understood even existed. Once I felt that, I couldn't imagine ever loving someone that much. But I did, I love your brother and sister just like that too. But it's different with each one of you. For you, you were my first born, there will never ever be another first born for me. I was able to love you selfishly for the first 18 months of your life. I didn't have to share you with anyone. As hard as it was to be a single parent, I cherish that time when it was you and I. Then I got to share you with your father, I didn't realize how much I wanted someone to share your achievements with. It was so much fun to be able to tell him what new thing you did and know and be able to see that he was every bit as excited about it as I was. My love for you only grew from being able to share that with someone else. You and I have a special bond, I hope you understand how much you mean to me even though I know that won't be possible until you have that love for a child. May you live the life you dream of baby. You truly are a unique young lady and I love you so very much. Happy Birthday!
 
posted by Unbalanced at 2:11 PM, |

2 Comments:

  At 3:52 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
Wow that was really beautiful UnB! Wish my mom had written me a letter like that! She's a very lucky young lady! Hugs!
  At 4:12 PM Blogger Unbalanced said:
Thank you zanne, I just hope she realizes how much I love her and how much she means to me. Sometimes I don't think she sees it with the hustle and bustle of our days.