Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The right path?

I think I took that step yesterday Zoe.

My sister accused me of trying to make everyone else happy. I think she was right. Maybe I was allowing myself to be disrespected because I felt like it was my penance (is that the right word?) But I stood and had a talk with all 3 of them.

My daughter - I told her flat out that I would no longer accept her disrespect of me or anyone else in our home. I laid down the consequences for such behavior. I told her that if she had problems or issues I am more than willing to discuss them with her, but she will have to do it in a respectful manner. We went on to have a very good, respectful conversation. One down, two to go.

My ex - I told him what I discussed with our daughter and then I told him that it went for him too. I would no longer accept him disrespecting me either. I told him that he shouldn't say anything to me that he wouldn't let his children hear him say. If he could not conduct himself in a respectful manner, I would shut off our communication. We would have to parent the children on our own without the support of each other. Two down, one to go.

My girl - I told her about the two previous conversations and then told her that I needed her to be more of a support to me. That I need her to stand beside me not behind me.

I know that none of this solves anything but perhaps I am on the road to a more "balanced" life. Yeah right!
 
posted by Unbalanced at 3:29 PM, |

4 Comments:

  At 8:20 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
Good for you! I'm sure everything won't be magically solved, but I think it's a good first step. You deserve to be happy and to live your life as you wish.
You took the first step, and I bet that was very hard. But, talking things in a respectful manner gets things done a lot faster. Wish you the best...for a better life for you and your partner. It must be hard for her as well. So, be sopportive of each others life.
  At 7:44 AM Blogger Unbalanced said:
Thank you both for listening to my rants!

Mar - you're right, it is hard for her. Sometimes I do forget... it's a work in progress.
  At 7:44 AM Blogger Unbalanced said:
Thank you both for listening to my rants!

Mar - you're right, it is hard for her. Sometimes I do forget... it's a work in progress.