Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Shaky, yet steadying ground

I thought last night would be a bust, but in the end it all worked out. I've been cautious going forward in this relationship for fear (irrational or not, I'm just not sure yet) that she might just go thru the motions and not really give 100%. Side note: Not sure if I've mentioned this but she works overnight and I work during the day. Usually I wake her up when I get home if she isn't awake already. Oh, and she is VERY hard to wake up most of the time. I'm usually home by 5:20 but didn't get home until 6:00 last night. So I get home last night and go into our room to wake her up. She doesn't budge. I leave her alone for a few minutes, but go back and try it again. Nothing. 7:00 rolls around and I try again, all the while I'm sad, I always take it personal when she doesn't wake up, like she doesn't feel it's important enough. (I know, pathetic) We have only a few short hours to see each other before she goes to work. She finally gets up a few minutes after 7, whew! But what really made it ok is that she woke up and was upset with herself because she realized how little time we had together. With a household of 8 people, 4 kids running around, dinner to be made, dishes to be washed, laundry to be put away, bills to pay, and working opposite shifts; we really only have very few opportunities to even be around each other. She apologized to me and raced to do everything she needed to do and joined me in what I needed to do, just to get a little time with me. I definitely felt validated, and not avoided (which is one of my fears). Like I said, little by little. Hopefully in 2 weeks she will be going to day shift!
 
posted by Unbalanced at 7:46 AM, |

2 Comments:

  At 8:51 AM Blogger Zoe said:
I'll be rooting for the day shift. I don't know how couple who work opposite shifts do it. I know you do what you gotta do, but it must totally suck.
  At 3:10 PM Blogger Unbalanced said:
I swear if it's not one things it's another. Her boss will give her a definite date on Saturday. I'll be counting it down.